Friday, September 17, 2010

And the walls ... come tumbling down ...

The walls are 95% down ... what a mess!  I'm actually afraid to see what's under the floorboard and what shape the chassis is in.  I'm going to borrow a suggestion from another blogger and use black asphalt fence paint on the chassis to help prevent any further road damage.  Hubby has a friend that has a metal shop here in town so any welding that needs to be done, he can do it since we don't own any welding equipment.

With as much as the LoFlyte is nickel and dimeing us, it will be interesting to see if the chassis is even worth rebuilding a camper on.  My biggest fear is we're going to write off $150 as "entertainment" (destroying the thing was kind of fun).  I just hope we can do this.  Hopefully by Sunday we'll know one way or another if the chassis is intact.  Then we need to make a trip to the metal recycling place to dump all the aluminum and other metal and then get rid of the interior wood, paneling, etc.  

Ideally I'd like to rewire this thing for both 12V and electric ... since our neighbor is an electrician and has done houses, I asked him if he'd be willing to do this (I'd pay him of course).  He wasn't sure what was involved but I can't imagine that it would be harder than wiring a house.  If anyone has any instructions or places to read up on rewiring a trailer, I'd appreciate it ... we're not at that point yet obviously but I like to keep on top of this so we're ready when it's time.







No comments:

Post a Comment